- About HPL
- Aquatic Conservation & Restoration Ecology
- Biological Oceanography
- Nutrient and Biogeochemical Cycling
- Physical Oceanography
- HPL Seminars
- Services and Facilities
- For the Community
- Giving to HPL
- My HPL
Why Give to HPL?
The view of the Bay that you live on or near, looks idyllic as you gaze across its expanse.
However, we know that the true condition of the Bay tells a different story.
The key to achieving a happy ending to this story is science-based knowledge.
The Horn Point Laboratory, on our own Eastern Shore, provides world-respected
expertise on the science of the Chesapeake Bay.
If restoring the Bay is important to you, there are significant reasons why
Horn Point is the best choice for your philanthropic dollars:
• Science is the basis for the information that is used by advocacy groups and
policy makers for making strategic decisions. Without it, strategies are only
• Our research has practical applications that include local emergency management
preparations for climate related storm events and public health concerns.
• Our impact on Maryland’s signature oyster industry is immense. We have the largest
oyster hatchery on the East Coast. We restore oysters in the wild and are engaged
in new research on oyster aquaculture to revitalize the industry.
• Our years of data collection on water quality enables the lab to provide science-
based feedback on the impact of evolving agricultural land management practices.
• Our lab continuously pushes out the boundaries of our scientific expertise
on the Bay by successfully recruiting new, very talented research faculty.
• Our graduate student program is educating the next generation of smart, committed
As you consider your giving for the Bay and your tax planning, we hope you will include us.
Contact: Liz Freedlander, Director of Development, 410-221-8433, email@example.com.
Charitable gifts to Horn Point are made payable to the University System of Maryland
Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)3 corporation, and may be tax deductible according to the advice of
your financial advisor. The Foundation has a track record of return on investment equal to that
of the most successful university and college endowments.
Please make checks payable to: University System of Maryland Foundation, Inc. (USMF, Inc.),
c/o Liz Freedlander, Horn Point Laboratory, P.O. Box 775, Cambridge, MD 21613
You may also donate to HPL online.